4/24/10

I was so pleased to have participated in the Henderson County Art Show and received the "Best of Show" award for the portrait I painted. The portrait is taken from a family photo taken years ago of my mother and me when we lived in Athens, Greece. Upon seeing the portrait, my mother said I should title it "Two of a Kind" as my mother's name is also Davilla. It was her recollection of this photo in recent months that made her suggest that it would make an interesting painting. We had to scour all of the closets and boxes to find the old slides that comprised our family records.

It was a very special moment to share with my mother when I found out that this portrait of her had won the award. She is 93 years old and the photo had always lingered in her memory, despite the fact that it had been stored away for years!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful painting, wonderful story. Congratulations!...Joyce

    ReplyDelete